Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Torana Aka Prachandagad

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Fort: Torana Aka Prachandagad
Difficulty Level: Medium
District : Pune
How to Reach: Sahyaadri / Torna

Rainy season on it's Ending, with the rains hiding just around the corner, is it possible to resist the temptation to go on a trek??? I don’t think so …

I was little busy with my new Job, since long time (almost 30 day I was not went for trek. Can’t control Temptation, made a plan for coming weekend, though DJ was not available for this time, I ask vin about trek and his get ready almost on one leg.

The fort that called out to me was Torna.. supposed to be one of the most difficult forts to conquer….(I had very bad experience on the first trek in the month of june, due to bad weather I was unable to reach at the top. That was the first time in my life, I was return from the trek without touching the summit and this things crunch my mind day by day.) and the one that Shivaji conquered right in the beginning of his career. Situated at approx 65kms from pune, the trek to torna is easily a one day trip..


our day started in the morn at 7 am.. After about a 2 hr on the road, we reached the village at the foot of the fort, called velhe, at abt 9:30ish… after a hearty bfast and chai at the restaurant in the village, we set out for the fort at arnd 10:30 am. Right from the beginning the fort showed us why is it a difficult fort to conquer… most of the faces are really steep, even the route we took was considerably steep for the foothills of a mountain..

The climate was just rite for a trek… no sun.. Loads of cloud cover.. and the possibility of a shower.. Real soon… see for urself..

The climb to the top takes about 3-4 hrs at an average-to-slow speed.. with the tonnes of pit-stops we took enroots.. it took us more.. :)

About 3/4th of the way up.. Came this plateau.. With really strong cross winds.. and loads of cloud..and rain…. :D from then on, we climbed up in clouds. Crouching down when the winds got really strong..

The top of the mountain was completely in clouds… the fort does have loads of points to see.. this fort is considered important strategically because is can see 6 or 8 other forts o a clear day.. but the dense clouds prevented us from seeing.

For More Pics of Torna

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Trekking Experiences © 2009. Copy Rigt by SUJAY